Saturday, February 13, 2010

The Hospital/Surgery Story... Part 1

It all started on Thursday, I wasn't feeling well and my throat was starting to hurt. I bought some cough medicine and left it at that. When I woke up Saturday, I started to get a sinus infection and my cough had turned into a horrible sore throat and a nasty wet cough. So I went to the store and bought some NyQuil and some Robitussin hoping that will hopefully fix what was going on with me.


Super Bowl Sunday I started to feel a lot of upper abdominal pain and thought that I might be coming down with the flu or something, so we left my dads house and came home and finished watching the super bowl here and then went to bed. Tuesday rolls around and I am in excruciating pain, I can barely walk and cried when I had to get up to make the kids food, wipe DJ's butt or change Reagan's diaper. About midnight I couldn't take it anymore and woke Dave up to tell him that I was going to drive myself to the ER and hopefully find out why I was in so much pain.

I got to the ER about 1am on Wednesday morning and told them that I was having severe upper abdominal pain and have been sick for a few days. I get put in a room and told to get a night gown on. I did leave my sweats on though.. lol So I lay on the bed and the Dr tells me to position my knees up, that way my stomach muscles were relaxed. He told me to take a deep breath and right when he put his hand on my skin right below my rib cage, I Screamed so bad! So he brought in his U/S machine and he told me that it sounded like I might have a Gall Stone. Well sure enough right after he said that he found a Gall Stone on the u/s machine. He wanted to make sure there weren't anymore so he scheduled me a full u/s along with some blood work, urine and chest x ray.

After the nurse gets my IV in and draws some blood, The Dr comes back with worse news. I have 2 Gall Stones and fluid around my gallbladder. The told me that I was being admitted and was going to have my gal bladder removed within the next 24 hours. They start giving me morphine for the pain and said that the surgeon would be in around 6am to talk with me about the surgery. Dave got to the hospital around 7-7:30am and my dad took the kids to his house.


I finally got moved into a patient room around 9am and was finally in a comfy bed. Shannon showed up around 9:30am, she would have been there sooner but she went to the wrong hospital.. lol ooops! So dave had to go run errands and then head back to work since my dad was going to watch the kids all day. I was getting Morphine/Duiloted every 2 hours in the ER and when I was moved up to my room I started getting just the morphine every 2 hours for pain and Zolfran every 4 hours for nausea. I kept dosing off and tried to take a nap, but everytime I closed my eyes there were nurses in my face asking how my pain is... etc


I had dave bring the kids up wed night so I was able to say good night to them, I missed them so very much! DJ didnt want anything to do with me because I had IV's in my arm and was in a weird bed, but Reagan wanted to climb into bed with me and just cuddle =) I said good night to the kids and after they left I cried =(


Finally around 7:30pm Dr. Surgeon comes in and talks about what he thinks and that he wants to take my gallbladder out in the morning. He talked step by step and how the surgery will go, I was so nervous. I had such wonderful nurses there to calm my nerves. I signed all the paperwork and was ready for surgery in the morning.


Thursday rolls around and its Surgery Day!

No comments: